~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Sunday, May 21, 2017

And we're off!

Off into a direction to get some hobby projects underway! :-) Thank you for all of the positive reinforcements concerning my clearing out the old projects... it truly is a "reboot"! And now, each time I enter my sewing area... it feels peaceful! As if I can sit and relax and enjoy stitching on a project... and isn't that what hobbies are all about? Stress reduction and happiness? :-)


Let's start with a table mat I've been stitching on since January... it's finally a finish! I purchased this as a kit from Timeless Traditions. It's a Norma Whaley design called "Heart Table Mat", and finishes up at just under 19" square.


The main background is an osnaburg. The applique is all hand dyed woolens, hand stitched with 2-strands of DMC floss. The border is a homespun. While the pattern directions called for some fusible fleece for the "quilting".... I decided to stick with a more traditional finish and used a wool batting and a black Jan Patek fabric for the back.


Quilting was just some simple outlining of the main motifs using the walking foot on my machine. The binding is self binding? I think that's what it's called anyways... when you fold the backing towards the front and then stitch it down. I programed my Janome for blanket stitch and chose the settings that closely matched the size of stitches I did by hand on the applique.


It was fun to try a few new features on the machine! :-)

What's next? Well.... let's see if we can do something with a pile of odd ball fabrics that didn't quite fit in with any of the other projects...


I've been slicing and dicing... *grin*

Update coming soon!

Until next time... stay healthy and keep on smiling!

~Sharon


12 comments:

  1. Love the mat, beautiful design and beautiful choices of fabrics and wool. I miss being able to just start and make things but it seems my time is being used up these days;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norma designs beautiful things, doesn't she? Looks lovely.
    I think that pile of odd balls is going to tun into something very pleasing--I can just feel it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your table mat, Sharon.
    Great colors and a nice mix of different fabrics.
    One day you will look into that delightful pile of odds and ends and an idea will be born!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful table mat. I enlarged the photo and your stitching is perfection. A great feeling to walk in a sewing room and feeling relaxed instead of stress.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. The table mat is gorgeous! Your hand-stitching is perfect and I love the way you bound it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute! Love that binding too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon,
    Was so happy to see a post from you!! Was wondering what you were up to!! Your new table mat is GORGEOUS!! Such a lovely design and perfect stitching!!! It does feel good to get something finished!! I KNOW you will come up with something wonderful from that pile of fabric scraps!! Have FUN!!
    Enjoy your week!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That machine stitched blanket stitch is AMAZING!
    Good to hear from you, Sharon.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. The table mat has pretty wool colors and is a nice design. Norma Whaley has designed several patterns that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon,

    What a beautiful table mat. The machine stitching is amazing. Love how it all came together. Great job.
    Folk Art Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it so wonderful and just great country colors
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...