~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Schwenkfelder

Wintertime always makes for some good cabin fever! lol! As much as I enjoy being home...and having some time to indulge in some indoor hobbies... there's only so much staying in one place that this gal can take! :-)

And so, last weekend, a friend and I hopped in my car and away we went to the Schwenkfelder Library and Heritage Center in Pennsburg, PA! The main purpose of this trip was to see a particular exhibit. It was of hooked rugs done by Karl and Mary Jo Gimber. I met them a couple of times during regular meetings of a local rug hooking guild... so I was already familiar with some of their hooked rugs. The rugs they hook are of Tavern Signs...and what adds to their unique style is that they are all hooked with recycled wool! In fact, attached to each rug (on the back) is all of the garment labels from the pieces that were used in the rug! So, getting the opportunity to see them all on display in a museum sounded like a fun thing to do!

Join me for a little walk through, won't you?

A few close up pics of some of my favorites...









A general view of one of the three walls of the exhibit...


And away we wandered to other sections of the center...

Also on display were some Christmas themed paintings, stoneware and redware (from local artisans)...



While the Schwenkfelder Library and Heritage Center offers limited time featured exhibits... they also have some "regular" exhibits that remain all the time... offering information of the PA Dutch Heritage of the area...

Here are some beautiful fraktur prints...






I am envisioning a beautiful hooked rug featuring this design...  :-)



These fraktur images were attached to the inside lids of some heavy wood trunks...


These were styled in a way that they actually resembled cross stitch charts... tiny little colored squares...


And some beautiful stained glass that was located just behind the welcome desk...




One of the off-beat and unique finds of the day, was this printing press...



I'm always in awe and appreciate the attention to detail and workmanship that was invested in even the industrial items...


I've been involved with the printing industry throughout my professional life... so I found it amusing that even on my "day off"... I could not "get away from my job"... lol! ;-)

It's all good!

Until next time... stay healthy & keep on smiling!

~Sharon

15 comments:

  1. Sharon, those are some beautiful pieces!
    What a great time you must have had!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to visit there and loved seeing the beautiful rugs.
    I have a few books with frakturs from the museum collections.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the Gimbers have found a very unique niche in rug hooking! I love seeing there rugs.
    Seems there are lots of good things to see at this museum! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful place to find inspiration. The hooked rugs are exquisite and charming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to start my day, thank you for the wonderful tour! Such wonderful rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Sharon for taking the time to share your visit to the museum. It very unique that these people are hooking only tavern signs. It a great way to preserve these old tavern signs.

    I'm always in awe of how much care and detail work went into anything made a long time ago and it was made to last unlike most things that is manufactured now a day.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely and inspiring way to spend a day! Love the tavern sign rugs...especially the one with the dog. How interesting about the wool sourcing and rug backs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon,
    Thanks for the tour!
    A few years ago the Gimber rugs were displayed at Suader Village during rug week.
    Happy Sunday 😊
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good exhibit pieces. I am drawn to the Raven and Ring hooked rug design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon,
    What a wonderful place to visit!! So much to be inspired by!!! I am so happy you gave us a "blog tour" and know it must have been hard for you to leave!! I can just see all those creative wheels turning!!! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!!
    Enjoy your week, my friend!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow what a wonderful exhibit lots of rug hooking ideas there
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the Schwenkfelder tour! Was there many years ago for a quilt exhibit. Love those hooked rug tavern signs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting place! Love all your pictures. Looks like that's an easy drive from my place, so we may have to go for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what sights to see ! Glad to get a glimpse of many different things- love the Frakturs !
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  15. This place is 'mind boggling'. Thanks so much for the tour. Especially since I will not be able to visit. Totally enjoyed it all, but the rugs and fraktur were among my favorites.
    Peace,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...