~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Janome 6500P

It's been a couple of years since I decided it was time for an upgrade with my sewing machine. I went to local quilt shows and spoke to reps there... I went to a local quilt shop and spoke to folks there... I went online and watched YouTube videos of quilters reviewing the machines they purchased... I asked questions to folks that write quilty blogs... I read online review websites that have tried just about every machine out there... I even paid attention to what machines were being used by well known quilt and fabric designers when they (and their sewing spaces) were featured in quilt magazines... and after gathering all that research, I thought it was about time I went to a shop and sat at the 3 machines I had narrowed my choice down to...

So. Yesterday I go pick up a quilty friend and head out to Pennsylvania for some adventure. Destination? Pocono Sew & Vac in Stroudsburg, PA! *grin*

First things first... I have to say Pocono Sew & Vac has THE best people working there! They are knowledgeable, courteous, friendly and VERY helpful. They listen to what you are looking for and supply you the facts... give you time and space to sit at and try the machines you are interested in and give you plenty of time and space to make a decision. Absolutely no pressure towards certain machines or pressure to buy... sounds like paradise, right? lol!

And this was the one that screamed "Take me home with you"!!! lol!


A Janome 6500P. What I like about this machine is... it's heavy duty... stitches even and beautifully... is only partially computerized (mainly the stitch selection)... still has manual thread tension control and presser foot pressure control... it's easy peasy to thread and load the bobbin... has some "fancy" stitches (as well as alphabets)... feed dogs drop for free motion quilting... and comes with an extension table and knee lifter.

Did I mention it only took 15 minutes to get her out of the box, set her up, wind a bobbin, load the thread and get stitching? :-)

Yep.

I'm back to feeling like a kid on Christmas morning!!!

Stayed tuned! Lots of quilty goodness will be posted here soon!

Enjoy each day for the gift that it is!

~Sharon

15 comments:

  1. Woo hoo. Congrats on your new machine.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful new machine and nice that you can try them out and pick the one that works for you. I love my electronic machine, she sews beautifully and I don't have to worry about tension, but they are buggy and break down more often, so a pain. I got a quilting machine and it is manual, so trying to get the tension right so I can start finishing some quilts. Can't wait to see what you make.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really did your homework Sharon. I'm sure you'll be happy with your Janome.
    At the Maritime Fibre art Retreat a few years ago in Nova Scotia, most of the sewing machines there were Janome so I guess they must be good. They have great features.

    Enjoy.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon,
    How wonderful to have Christmas in February!!! Your new machine is a beauty and I have heard good things about that brand!! I look forward to seeing what you create in the future!! Happy for you!!! Enjoy each stitch!!
    Warm Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooo happy for you! (and, so is Naomi Janome!!! ~grin~) I'll be looking forward to hearing all about your adventures together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for doing all the research! My very old metal housed machine is starting to whine, and I had no idea what to start looking for. We have no one locally that can fix a machine so I will keep your post handy for when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh la la...she's a beauty...looks like fun times ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun ! I'll bet lots of creative ideas will be churning ;) Have fun playing with your new machine.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice machine! How exciting!
    And yippee!, more quilting projects!
    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah for you! I had a Janome years ago and no one had ever heard of the brand. They do make a great machine. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a major investment and it sounds like you did a lot of research. Now it's time for fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still sewing on my 30+ year old Singer would love a Janome but afraid this old dog might be to old to learn the new tricks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...