~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Kutztown Folk Festival

Happy Independence Day!!! It's been a beautiful Summer thus far... and continues this weekend, so that we can all celebrate our independence with outdoor gatherings... and good old fashioned events like county fairs and folk festivals! Since my home is only about 1-1/2 hours away from Kutztown, PA... and the weather was perfect yesterday (80's, sunny and low humidity)... I decided to hop in the car, pick up a friend and venture out to see the many talents of Kutztown's PA Dutch community!

The grounds were busy with people walking around and enjoying good eats, birch beer and sarsaparilla on tap, many fine hand crafts... story times and petting zoos for the kids... and quilts! This fair is famous for it's Quilt Barn... :-)

A quick walk around... see the booth that says "sausage" on the right? Yep... that was my lunch.. bratwurst with kraut and mustard!!! Yum!


Need more money to shop? Here's a "mobile atm"... lol!


And into the Quilt Barn we go...


So many quilts... each marked with size and price... three rows of folded quilts along the perimeter of the building... each section had a helper, should you wish to see more of a particular one... all for sale... some marked with a price and some marked with opening bids for the big auction at the end of the festival...


This one is my favorite...


And here are some close ups... (click each picture to enlarge)












 These ladies were in the center of the barn... enjoying some hand quilting!














I had hoped to get some pics of the other artisans goods there... but my camera's memory card had filled up quicker than I had expected. This festival has everything from hex signs, to Pysancki decorated eggs, hand painted dowry chests, jewelry, silk embroidery, wood working, metal casting, iron works, hand blown glass, redware, and wooden shaker boxes... and food... LOTS of PA Dutch yummy food... :-)

Did you miss the event this year? Well... for a link to the website, click HERE... sign up for the newsletter and get notified when next year's event will take place... you won't be disappointed! :-)

Happy Summer!

~Sharon

13 comments:

  1. That looks like a perfect way to spend a day.
    SO MANY beautiful quilts.
    Happy 4th to you.
    Hugs ;)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great treat to give yourself to go to the folk festivl... Your favorite quilt is also my favorite. I love appliqué quilts.
    Happy 4th of July.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Independence Day Sharon! Looks like a fun place to visit. I'm glad you and your friend got to go. Hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 4th, Sharon. I enjoyed your pictures of all the quilts. There were some amazing ones there. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, that looks amazing! I've never seen so many beautiful quilts all together. Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to spend the day, lots of beautiful quilts. Are they hand quilted or machine quilted?

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohmy...if I was there to buy a quilt, I'm not sure that I would be able to choose one. Just one. I would be overwhelmed with all those beautiful quilts. What a fun day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this festival. We are about 50 minutes from kutztown. Oh the delicious food !!!
    The quilts are beautiful. Happy 4th to you.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow it looks beautiful there. I live in Reading, PA not far from Kutztown and it was cloudy and rainy here all day yesterday. Wish I knew you were there, I would have come and met you among the thousands of people there!!! LOL Glad you had a great day! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh!!!!!! What a fun way to start the day by viewing these pictures!
    I am always telling people about this festival and what a treat to visit!!
    When I lived in CT a few friends and I took a road trip to experience this great event :)
    Was the big tall chair still there????
    Thanks for sharing Sharon....happiness :)
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon, Yes we did miss it this year. Love this event and the quilts are just beautiful year after year. Thank you for sharing - I felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sharon, Yes we did miss it this year. Love this event and the quilts are just beautiful year after year. Thank you for sharing - I felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...