~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Monday, April 20, 2015

Gripper Frame

I had a lot of interest in what brand of frame I was using for the punchneedle... unfortunately, the maker of the frame no longer sells the frames, but they do have a few punchneedle patterns for sale at various needlework shops. I thought it might be good to post a picture of the frame in case you were inspired to try to build one yourself...


Looks to me like something similar could be made using artist's canvas stretcher boards (found at your local crafts store) and some gripper strips. I know there are different kinds of gripper strips available. Some grip cottons better and some grip linens better as well as need to be mounted to the frame a certain way... so be sure to research the gripper strips before buying.


Of course, with eBay, Etsy and just searching for "gripper frame" in google (or any other search engine)... many different varieties of frames can be found that are already together and ready to go. I've seen them start at $45 and go on up to $200. It all depends on how fancy you want to get... and, if you want to use the frame for hooking rugs as well as punchneedle... so I guess the other main feature would be the size of the opening of the frame... mine is 7" and seems to work well with most of preprinted needlepunch designs...

Yes... I've retired the ol' Morgan Hoop I was using for punchneedle... she'll be tucked away and brought out when I feel like indulging in some embroidery or hand quilting.

I've also begun to list some handmade items on eBay this week. Most of them are made by me, like this little woolly lamb pull toy...


... but this other one is a Stacy Nash original from my pinkeep collection...


Click HERE to view the auctions. Thanks for taking the time to check them out... I'll try to update my blog here when new stuff gets added.

Until next time... stay healthy & keep on smiling!

~Sharon

7 comments:

  1. A gripper frame makes punching so much easier! Well worth the investment.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried punch hooking or hooking with yarn yet. I'm still fighting with the wool strips and hook.
    Those two items are so cute, Im sure they will go real fast on ebay. I just love that little sheep.
    JB



    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Going to check out your goods right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to look into the gripper frame--thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your things should sell fast on eBay...too nice not to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon,
    Thanks so much for the info and the photo too!!! It is always so helpful to hear what works for other artists!! Hope your sweet goodies find new homes too!!
    Have a great week and happy creating, my friend!
    Warm Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...