~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Summer Spools "All Done"!

Isn't that what we would say when we were kids? When we finished "cleaning our plates" of dinner? All Done? lol!

Well... I had finished piecing all the little spools together last weekend... but, just wasn't able to time some sunlight to take a picture outdoors. I really only needed to add the last border.... so when this Friday night rolled around I headed straight down to the sewing room to cut and sew! :-) Naturally we had snow on Friday (the first day of Spring)... then I had to wait for some of that to melt so I could find a sunny spot for pictures... noticed the super flat brown grass around the quilt! lol! Yes... the snow is melting and the March winds are blowing... so this quick picture was the best I could get for now...


"Quilt as desired" is next... *grin*

A couple of options I've been thinking about (for quilting)... since the spools finish up at 2" square, I'm going to refer to this as a "seam intense" piece that I probably would not enjoy hand quilting (too many layers of fabric). So I think I have two options if I'm going to quilt this myself (with my little ol' Kenmore). First being a simple stitch in the ditch following the square shapes of the blocks, then stitch around the applique elements in the center medallion. Second would be to freehand a meander over the entire quilt. The second option would be a first try for me as I haven't yet tried anything other than a straight stitch (with walking foot) for quilting on my machine. Any thoughts?

Eventually, I do plan on investing in a larger machine with more options for quilters... but, let's see what I can get this little Kenmore to do in the time between now and then.

Wishing everyone a belated National Quilt Day and Happy St. Patty's Day!!!

Until next time... stay healthy & keep on smiling!

~Sharon




16 comments:

  1. Well done. This is a nice design with the center having the sewing machine and other sewing items. Surrounded by the spool blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a cute quilt!
    So glad you took the time to work out the problems. It was well work the effort. I don't have any suggestions for the quilting. I can't wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that! You did an awesome job on this quilt, Sharon! YAY! As for quilting...I think simple for the first time is good...the stitch in the ditch and outlining the motifs in the center sounds like a good plan. As you know, YouTube has a ton of tutorials on quilting. Practice on small pieces first to get your rhythm and movement worked out. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That came out beautifully, wonderful piece and fabrics. I am the worst with design ideas, have one that i am mulling over, now. The best time to take a photo is early morning or in the shade, full sun can wash out colors.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon,
    Your quilt is a work of art and labor of love!! So many stitches in this piece!! Hooray for you!! I would agree with simple stitches too!!
    Happy your snow is finally melting!!
    Take care and happy stitching!!
    Sunshine Hugs from CA~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Sharon - you are an inspiration! We need to all be patient and forge ahead when we bump into a challenge!!! You taught me that :)
    I am just mastering machine free motion quilting. Not as easy as I thought!
    Do what you are comfortable with and practice free motion!! I am truly enjoying the process but it has certainly taken time...
    Love your piece and ....you should be very proud of this one!!!!!
    jayne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt!!! I clicked on the photo and enlarged with my finger pad thingy on my laptop and Wow! Your patience has mine all beat to smithereens! All those little spools and pieces put together so perfectly! I'd probably end up feehanding it as I don't trust my machine..( or is it really me I don't trust..LOL!!) Have fun what ever you decide it will be wonderful!!
    Spring has not quite sprung here... although the snow is gone we haven't warmed up... still waiting to feel a warm spring breeze so I can go outside without ear muffs!!
    Hugs!!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt looks like a test in patience. So very sweet but so much work with all the tiny pieces.
    I have every confidence that your quilting will be impeccably well done.

    We still have mountains of snow and we had another storm with lot of blowing snow and drifting and it's cold again.

    Happy Spring to you.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! All those little pieces. I always think of how long that would take in Grandmas time - all by hand. Thank goodness for machines :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely finish--I think an allover quilting design would look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute quilt. My self-quilting talent is limited to stitching in the ditch. So, I look forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have NO quilting talent or knowledge, so I am no help, but I do love it. It is so darned sweet.
    Happy spring???
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! It is so charming! I'm not a fan of stitch in the ditch, but what about cross hatching with your walking foot? I also like the idea of free motion meandering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks amazing and oh how I can appreciated your perseverance- mine end up UFO's haha I guess I need to revisit them - thanks for your inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...