~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Center Stage Quilt

Have you ever had a project that was so fun and interesting to work on... that it became nearly impossible to stop working on it (or even stop thinking about it) until it was complete? I just finished one of those! :-)

It was probably a combination of learning new techniques like fusible machine applique... piecing together long rows of flying geese... making hour glass blocks from two long strips of fabric and a cardboard triangle template... following a traditional quilt pattern rather than a BOM... and maybe simply it was just the pleasing visual of red and white together...


Minick & Simpson design and fabric kit! :-) The name of the quilt is "Center Stage" and it can be found in the February 2012 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. The quilt finishes up at approximately 42-1/2" x 42-1/2".

Here is the best detail picture I could get to show you the stitch I used for the applique edge...


...my camera is not so good at taking close-ups. But, clicking the picture will enlarge it enough that you can maybe see the stitch takes two tiny zigs and then a deep zag... so, I'll call it my "ziggy zaggy blanket stitch"! ;-)

So now I have a hooked rug, a wool quilt, a punchneedle pillow, a cross stitch and "something completely different" all in different stages of progress... more finishes to show here in the near future! :-)

Have a glorious weekend!

~Sharon


15 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,
    Yes, I have definitely done that...many times, and it always seems so worth it!! It is in this case too....absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Red and white is so beautiful together and you did a fantastic job!! I did click on the picture too so I could really get a close up of the ziggy zaggy stitches! Perfect!!
    Loved seeing this and look forward to what is next!!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Warm Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Sharon! I need a project like that to get me going here! Your quilt is so wonderful... and all the learned techniques are an added bonus! You have my curiosity working big time... the "something completely different"! Can't wait to see so keep on the ball!! LOL!!
    Hugs!!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful and I love the fabrics you used in it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, this quilt is gorgeous. You always choose the prettiest designs for your project and you just keep going.
    Looking forward to seeing some completed projects pretty soon.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! WOW! Sharon, that is absolutely fabulous! I am so proud of you and the progress you have made with your quilting! Simply amazing is what you are!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful ! The red and white are so crisp and clean.
    I am loving this design. ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt, Sharon! I can see why you had a hard time to stop stitching! But you could always make another one for your blogging pals!! The red is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This piece has high impact and definitely is Center Stage. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon, this is beautiful!!!!! This project took commitment and determination...the result is right in front of us....Really, Sharon it's lovely.
    I have done many things but never machine applique!!!! Hats off to you :)
    jayne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow....and I so love fusible applique!!! Looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and red and white is so classic! Nice machine stitch!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful! And, yes, I do know what you mean about not wanting to stop working on something. But as long as we have a family or DH, we do have to stop and fix meals...maybe even clean once in a while. Hee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh it is stunning, I just love this quilt. I know the obsession too......sink full of dishes and no dinner ready, but sewing has to get done:) You ought to be very proud. Looking forward to seeing what your surprise is!
    Shazy

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, your quilt is so beautiful! You did a fabulous job putting it all together!
    Love it!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...