~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Monday, May 26, 2014

A Blessed Memorial Day!


Today and always, we offer prayers and appreciation to all of our service members, past, present... and future. Without their sacrifices, our freedom and enjoyment of liberty would not be possible.

Today brought some sunshine too... so it was outdoors with the camera to take a few pics of some of the ways I've been enjoying my freedom...

The first is a needle pocket that is a design by Threadwork Primitives and exclusively offered through Dyeing To Stitch's "Ladies Prim Society". This is the front...


... and the back... I need to get more practice on whip stitching stuff closed after turning it right side out...


... looking back, I guess I should have stitched completely around the piece and then snipped an opening (for turning) in the fabric in an area that would have been hidden by the inside wool pocket...


I also managed a rather large punchneedle piece... this is a design by Vermont Harvest Folkart and is called "Spring Thyme In New England". It finishes up about 8" x 11" and has been stuffed with wool snippets and lavender buds... the backing is a dark brown wool.


And all of those wool snippets I used for stuffing came from my current hooked rug... this is an adaptation of an antique rug. I had purchased the pattern from Lori Rippey of Homespunprims. I hope to hook more of it today...

Please... throw tomatoes at me (I love 'em) for mentioning the word "Snow"... lol! But, I'd like to share the quilting that Karen Thompson did on my Snow Days quilt...




I opted for an overall design called "Will of the Wisp"... the pantograph reminds me of Old Man Winter blowing cold air from the clouds... the last pic shows the backing... a nice teal to compliment the embroidery floss (which blends from brown to teal) throughout.

So bring out the barbeque, watermelon, sausage & peppers and iced tea... and take time today to celebrate Freedom! And don't forget to proudly display your red, white and blue!!!

~Sharon

P.S. I'm starting on the "something completely different"... it will be in my next post... promise!


10 comments:

  1. Wonderful pieces and I hope you have a wonderful day today.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt turned out fantastic and the cross stitched pockets are beautiful.
    I love that quail pillow.

    Happy Memorial day Sharon.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. would love to see a picture of the whole quilt!
    beautiful cross stitch….do you shop on line for your supplies?
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sharon - Love what you have done with the horses rug so far. Your other finishes are just beautiful too.
    Have a great day-
    Hugs-
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure have been keeping those fingers busy...the rug is looking great...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your stitcher's wallet looks wonderful. You sure can do it all. I love everything you posted. Smiles, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm only a quilter, you are an inspiration with all you do....I just love the needle pocket...it is adorable!
    Cant wait to see you "new" project :)
    Have a good week - and smile!
    jayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh. my. gosh. Sharon! Those pieces are all lovely! The hooked rug makes me miss hooking...but not enough to work on anything. Just sayin'. And, you know how I feel about 'snow days'. One of these fine days my head will be empty of everything else (I type this as I just finished joining a quiltalong...haha!) and I will finish mine. You have grown leaps and bounds in your crafts and I am so excited to see what you are working on next! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sharon.....love all of your finishes and the horse rug is looking so good! Love the colors. It looks very antique like. Can't wait to see more! Hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful projects you have been working on, Sharon !
    And, your snow days quilt is perfect ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...