~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Rugs, Redware and Quiltmania

I was lucky enough to be able to attend our local rug guild's monthly meeting yesterday... lucky because #1, it did NOT snow (as it did in February which caused the meeting to be cancelled)... lucky because #2, we had an excellent lecture on the history of redware... and lucky because #3, there were some gorgeous rugs in progress and for show & tell... so let's get the pictures going here...

Here are some beautiful examples of redware... some are antique, some are made recent and one piece was even handmade by one of our members!
We learned about how the pieces are made...
 We learned about the early pieces being for necessary and the later pieces being "just for nice"...
 We learned about "slip" and "scraphito" as being the techniques used to decorate each piece...
 Then we learned how to hook rugs to resemble redware designs... got redware wool? ;-)
A lucky treat for every meeting is getting to see what the members have been hooking... 

A stained glass rug...
 This gal has only been hooking for a year...
 This was being hooked as a gift for a family member...
 Thoughts of Spring...
 This is another grand tavern sign hooked rug brought to you by the famous Karl & Mary Jo Gimber team...
 And this handsome fellow is being hooked by the club's President... so much shading and details.... I could almost hear him breathing! ;-)
So that was my lucky and fun Friday out and about in Flemington, NJ! It really is a treat to have clear roads to travel on... so that we can safely go see the beauty this world has to offer!

For those of you who are fans of Quiltmania publications, I have a few listed on eBay... click HERE to take a peek!

I have about 3 (or so) small projects in progress here... a cross stitch (or two)... a wool applique... a punchneedle piece... and a fun and unique pinkeep (the kit just arrived at my doorstep yesterday... lol)... so leave a comment here on this post... and YOU just might be the LUCKY winner of a mystery giveaway here... winner (or winners) to be announced on the luckiest day of the year... Monday, St. Patrick's Day!

Have a beautiful weekend!

~Sharon

14 comments:

  1. What a great guild and show, love the red ware. I do have a few pieces, love the look. Great books, wish I could bid but on a no buy for now, need to make what I have.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you got to go...and that you had a good time! LUCKY you! No need to enter me in the giveaway. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! The dog rug is incredible.

    It's great to have dry, clear roads. Ours are getting wider as the snow melts back. I can't wait till it's all gone - I'm so ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing rugs...so nice to have a day out with the girls...I love redware I wish I owned more, those pieces are amazing....I have a sister in-law who lives in Flemington, small world...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any redware pieces but do admire it very much. The wools in those colors are beautiful. My kind of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been a perfect day. I love, love all that Redware wool and OH my... that dog rug designed by Lenny F. is nothing short of amazing. It looks like it's going to move... it looks so real.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the red ware I live in the south so it's hard to find red ware. The dog rug by your president is beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what wonderful redware! Love the redware-colored wool, too.
    Leonard Feenan's pattern is amazing. I so admire his patterns but will never hook one in my lifetime...lol!
    I hope you share your projects with us soon.
    Happy Sunday to you.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some really sweet redware pieces! what a fun day it was for you and glad there was NO snow. I won't even mention tonights forecast lol. . Nice rugs too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a incredible example of incredible hooked rugs. The redware was really interesting too. I am so glad you got to go and there was no snow.
    You are so busy. It is all good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I was going to take up another craft it would be rug hooking. I love them! My fav is the whale and raven- so fun and prim.
    Glad the weather was good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved this whole post, I've always thought red ware is amazing!
    loved all the rugs too, esp. the yellow finches, and the dog looks like you could pet it, and hug it close, the rug details always just astound me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love redware!
    I have yet to try rug hooking but some great memories "tearing wool" for my Great Aunt Mamie as a little girl. She would love to see it being done today!
    Happy St Paddys Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOWWEE! those rugs are fabulous. The dog is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...