~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Wisdom House Top Complete

Yes, folks! I finally completed the Wisdom House Quilt top! :-)

This finished up at 69" x 89"... I did not realize exactly how big those dimensions actually are... until the blocks started to go together... and the quilt started taking up more and more space on my living room floor... *grin*... yah... pretty much the WHOLE floor! So, I really can't get a good picture of the entire quilt... too large to hang from any of my walls too...

This entire quilt process is new to me. This quilt created a lot of "firsts" for me... this was my first full size quilt... first Block of the Month... first attempt at needleturn applique... and first full size FINISH! :-)


I did have some interesting "opportunities to make-do"... lol! Yes... measure twice and cut once... but, if you cut the same piece twice... you will run short of fabric... see the piece of sashing behind the long stemmed star flower? That's 4 pieces... it should have been one piece... complicated story... but, the lesson to learn was to lay out all your blocks (on the design wall or floor)... so that you can see that some block sections were pieced together a month ago to applique something on the sashing... so those sashing pieces were not needed to be cut at the end... did I explain that right?


The other lesson to learn was... make sure you are reading the measurements to the block you are ready to cut. See the basket block? That was supposed to be the width of the double star block under the house... yep... found another scrap piece of fabric to fit in the hole that mis-cut left... lol!

I think the remainder of the pieces cut and went together ok. I did change the lower right block. The original one that Jan Patek did had her name and county on it. I decided to include a berry basket, my last name and the year.


And, 2013 happens to be about 3 years from the start of this whole process. The price tag on the first block had a date of August 2010. I started stitching on this March of 2011... and here we are November 2013... lol! What a process!

Now...

Who wants to quilt it?

lol!

Thanks and hugs to everyone for their tips and tricks and for cheering me on!!! You certainly sent me the energy to keep pushing to the finish line!!! :-)

~ Sharon

18 comments:

  1. It's wonderful Sharon and a real treasure. We would never have known of your "lessons" had you not told us. I'm still learning after all the years I've been doing it. Wish I could quilt it for you my friend but just no extra time. Bravo to you for getting it done. Hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely gorgeous! A real treasure for you. I have never quilted so I didn't understand any of your tips :), but it looks perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful quilt and well worth the time you put into it.
    I am hoping I can spend this year, working on my projects and finally finishing things.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is wonderful, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gosh, Sharon...the quilt is beautiful! You did such a great job! I love anything with houses...it will be an heirloom for sure! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray you got it done and it is fabulous! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo! Absolutely stunning quilt. Well done for sticking with it. You need to be proud of yourself. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to you! I am so pleased for you and absolutely LOVE how it all came together!
    You very very clever at covering those slip ups as no one would guess!
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! I am so happy for you that this is done. It looks totally awesome and shhhh...not supposed to point out 'mistakes'. You are the only one who will remember that they're there, anyway. You did a great job all the way around...first needle-turn, first BOM, etc.. You go, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BY Wisdom A Quilt Is Built. I can't see any mistakes, only a gorgeous quilt top. It looks so nice and homey. I'd never know that you had so many first since your work is so lovely. You rock girl.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt! I just mentioned wonderful quilts cannot be rushed. I'm glad you are the type to not freak out about piecing something together that you cut wrong. It only adds charm, I think. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, can't even imagine! Great job! now get hooking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! Doesnt it feel good! Congratulations! So reminds me of my first so many years ago, so much learned.. Love it!! Great pattern, great fabrics! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. well it turned out great considering your miscuts. I really like it.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For so many firsts, the quilt turned out very good. I have most of Jan's patterns but not this one.....looks like I should.

    ReplyDelete
  16. But you finished it and it is amazing. I think it turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your finished quilt top! Yes always a learning process! Great fabrics! Enjoy the rest of your thanksgiving day!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...