~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Hand Quilting & Thank You

Happy Sunday everyone! We are past that awful heat wave and enjoying some drier air and gorgeous sunshine! Love it! Some evenings flirt with the upper 50's... a taste of comfortable, cozy autumn... ahhhhhhhh... :-)

A couple years back I made my first mini quilt and hand quilted it. I was sure that I had remembered everything I knew about hand quilting and binding... but soon learned that I had remembered the WRONG way to do it! lol! So, after some sore hands and fingers on the hand quilting, and some ripping of seams on the binding... I finally finished up my leaves runner!

"Pretty In Leaves" Table Runner
kit by Laundry Basket Quilts
Finishes at 21" x 42"
Hand quilted with Aurifil 50 wt. cotton thread
Warm & Natural Wool Batting

I tried some big stitch quilting this time... starting with outlining the applique. I then moved on to just some straight stitching in the border and finished up with following the lead of the checkers on the border, and cross hatched the background.


As with every new technique I try and learn... I have conversations with myself that "this is too involved", "this hurts my hands", "this takes too long", "boy, I'm never doing this again".... only to wind up being happy with the end result and looking forward to starting a similar project real soon!!! :-) Do you go through that same process? I'm pretty sure that once I get enough practice at it, these new techniques will become second nature and the whole start to finish will be most enjoyable...

If you'd like to try one of these runners yourself... you can visit Laundry Basket Quilts website. It's in the fabric kits section. The leaf applique pieces are laser cut and pre-fused... and the background and squares are cut to size... pretty much sit and stitch! :-)

And last, but not least... I'd like to give a huge *T*H*A*N*K* *Y*O*U* to everyone that visited and bid on my auctions last week! I'm glad that all of those great patterns are going to folks that will actually stitch them up! :-) I did list more this week. If you're interested... click here to see if there is anything you'd like to add to your "must stitch" collection. I do still like the designs... I just have more patterns than I'll ever have time to complete... and, I'm sure I'm not alone in that scenario! lol!

Until next time... stay healthy & keep on smiling!

~Sharon

8 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful runner and you did a beautiful job on the hand stitching.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygosh, you did such fabulous work on that runner! You should be very proud of yourself, Sharon! As for having too much to do? Yeah, I would say most of us are right there with you. Unfortunately. ohwell...it makes life interesting, hey? Keep up the good work! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh. Forgot to say that I LOVE that runner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a very beautiful runner, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Sharon...what a gorgeous runner...and hand-stitched as well. What a treasure!
    Peaceful stitching...
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do such nice work. I always enjoy seeing what you have been doing. I am also so glad you are having beautiful cool weather. There is hope for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are having some great weather... signed, jealous in So. FL. :)

    Your runner is simply beautiful. I can't imagine hand stitching / quilting anything right now but I would like to try a project one day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...