~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Stitching The Stars And Stripes

Some of you are aware that I have not had much luck with accuracy on my 17 year old Kenmore sewing machine. So much so that I was ready to go out and spend big bucks on a new machine designed for quilting. Well... one day I went to a (not so) LQS to sit and play with a few machines to see if new might be the answer. Long story short... even the new ones need some sort of adjusting and getting used to... "practice, practice"... that's what the shop owner said... so, a light bulb went on in my head! Maybe if I made a stronger effort to "practice, practice" on my Kenmore... maybe my piecing would improve (and my purse would stay full)... *grin*... so, I cut me some squares of scrap fabric and practice, practice (and adjust guides) I did! Here is my first "official" pieced quilt on my "old" Kenmore with "new" attitude! lol!


Primitive Gatherings had offered a kit on their website to go along with a free pattern Lisa offered during a Moda blog hop (last year). This uses pre-cut squares of PG's Old Glory Gatherings fabric line. Love it! The fabric is quality stuff and the dyed woolens that came with the kit are gorgeous! Just the right amount of mottling. I think my seams are lining up pretty good too! So... "practice, practice" some more, I'll do... with my old Kenmore! :-)

Another loverly stitch is from Nan Lewis of Threadwork Primitives! A little while back Nan had offered a kit on her blog for this Civil War Needlebook. I could not email her fast enough to make sure I was able to get a kit sent to me! lol! This really was a relaxing and enjoyable stitch... once you get the main part of it down... finishing up the stitches can be done while enjoying some sunshine and fresh air in the yard... no counting to lose track of... and, Nan included the best rusted pins and a beautiful piece of antique ribbon to accent the inside! Love it! Thanks so much, Nan! :-)



I hope Spring has made it to your area... and that everyone stays safe from the wicked storms in the midwest. It seems each season has it's good and bad. I'm still sneezing and sniffling from allergies (durn pollen)... but, I'll take that over shoveling snow any time!

Until next time... stay healthy & keep on smiling!

~Sharon


14 comments:

  1. It came out beautifully and a fun pattern. I do have the minis of that fabric.
    I also have an old kenmore, but I forgot how to thread the bobbin and can't find my book.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sharon, your practice paid off as your piecing looks absolutely perfect. I'm jealous, I've never done any quilting.
    Oh, and your needlebook looks really awesome. I was so surprised to see it. I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed it. That's what it's all about. Thanks for stitching it. I'm sure smiling.
    ~Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember the old adage practice makes perfect? Well, you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Sharon for staying with the old Kenmore and practice, practice. Your work is always first class. Your little quilt turned out perfect.
    Love your little needle book too.

    Your follower, Debbie might look up on the web for instruction on how to thread her Kenmore sewing machine. If she knows her model number, it might help. There are some Youtube tutorial on how to thread vintage Kenmore sewing machines.

    Enjoy your weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! You are rockin! Your little quilt is wonderful! YAY for practicing, hey? Great work, and cute to boot! And, the stars and stripes needlebook is perfect. So proud of you, Sharon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your little quilt, your corners look great. I keep telling myself to do the same thing with my 22 yr. old singer, I'm still working on that. love the needle book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BEE U TI FUL WORK Moosey!!!!
    The Queen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love that quilt!! And the rest of your stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Sharon! I'm glad you could save money and be happy with your Kenmore. The more you do, the better you get. Keep at it and it will become second nature in no time!! Love your needlebook too. You've been busy. Hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess practice does make perfect because your little quilt looks perfect to me. I hear there might be a quilt shop opening in my town this fall. I've always wanted to learn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pieced quilt is lovely !
    Those Kenmores just go and go...
    my Kenmore is now 41 years old !! It doesn't have bells and whistles, but it is very dependable (and heavy). ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. your quilt is so sweet I love it. I love the needle book too.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sew cute!! I still struggle with accuracy--I gave up on the special quarter inch foot and now use a seam guide--it's helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!!!!!! Your little PG sheep mat looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...