~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Monday, July 16, 2012

Cool Stitching

It's been hot and humid here in Central Jersey... so, the usual golfing, gardening and car cruises have been put on hold until some sane temperatures arrive. I don't mind though... because I have plenty of small projects that are very portable so that stitching in front of the AC becomes the new Summer trend! :-)

I picked some small cross stitch projects and have enjoyed both of these tremendously... the threads and designs sure can make a person smile and keep their minds on good thoughts!

I do enjoy Americana stitches... this latest is called "America" and it is a design from Nan Lewis of Threadwork Primitives. I stitched this with some Gentle Art threads on linen and backed it with a red and cream fabric.


America
Threadwork Primitives
32 count linen
Gentle Art Threads
7052-Schoolhouse Red, 7054-Chalk, 7055-Uniform Blue


I have a few designs of hers and look forward to stitching them all! Visit Nan's blog and check out her latest releases!

This next piece is called "Pumpkin Row". I purchased this as a kit from Country Sampler Quilt Shop a couple of years ago... and finally got the courage to finish it up! What took the "courage"? Some "new to me stitches" that's what... this piece was both fun to do and a little bit of a learning curve too! It included the regular cross stitch, the smyrna stitch and some backstitching for accents. Then came the fob. Making the twisted chord and overcast stitching the front of the fob to the back of the fob was another new to me technique. It all worked out pretty well I think... though the overcasting the front and back together should go a bit quicker and neater next time! ;-)


Pumpkin Row
Chessie & Me
32 count linen
Various Anchor, Weeks Dye Works and DMC threads


You can click on the pictures to enlarge. The other side of the fob has the crow stitched on it. The crow, leaves, pumpkin stems and squash blossoms were all done with the smyrna stitch. A real fun stitch! Visit Chessie & Me blog to see what they have been up to!

That's about it for now... thanks for taking the time to enjoy some stitches with me!





12 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon!! I love your stitcheries! Nan's designs are beautiful. It is so blooming hot...I can't stand it either...come on fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute little stitcheries. I'm gonna go check out those sites. I haven't stitched in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that Chessie and me and I did love those pumpkins but I was a bit afraid those stitches were beyond me so I chickened out. I was just looking at it the other day and wondered about trying it. It looks amazing too. You did a very nice job.
    I like everything Nan does. In fact I could easily buy everything in her Etsy store. :) I love that one you did. I really like the colors.
    Well stay in front of that air conditioner. Keep stitching, I have always enjoyed all of your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really beautiful stitcheries, you do such beautiful work on your pieces.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely little stitches...admire your work! Wish I had the patience but I don't :( Hope your staying cool surely Autumn days can't be too far off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon, Oh, I like Pumpkin row! The different shades of oranges are so pretty. I'm getting in the fall stitching mood - always have to stitch something for my Halloween tree. Stay cool! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finishes....you are so brave to tackle new stitches! Beautiful colors!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sharon, Your 2 finishes are wonderful. Thanks for stitching AMERICA and I love your Pumpkin Row with the matching fob. Great work!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pieces look wonderful, Sharon! Nice finishing, too. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the name of your blog! We love MOOSE here, even though I live in Michigan! Very nice work on your projects, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such great pieces you always keep busy no matter what the weather.
    hoping for cool weather soon.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...