~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kutztown, PA

Yes, it's that time of year again... time for the Antique Radio Show at Renninger's in Kutztown, PA. Bob and I had a S*U*P*E*R*B 2 days at the show! He sold, he bought... I shopped... and I shopped some more... lol! :-)

Simply put... I could not resist the treasures that were to be had at Sharon Renninger's booth that is located inside the main building...

A Jack O' Lantern, a handmade fabric pumpkin, a towel embroidered with Jack O' Lanterns, some autumn colored boxwood branches, and some brown & cream coverlet remnants... were some items that I could not leave behind. In fact... I had admired the white JOL last year... but last year's was triple the size of this one... this one is "just right"... ;-)

Next was leaving through the side entrance of the building...


Little did I know I was nearly gobbled up by an angry Jack! lol! Beautiful mums and gorgeous gourds and pumpkins for sale there!

Next, I wandered over to the outdoor flea market area. They have this every Saturday at Renninger's... not just this time with the radio show. Usually the vendors have the same old fare... but, this visit was different. I had found two original, screen printed on jute rug hooking patterns... still sealed in it's original packaging. It was neat to see the graphics on the insert as well as the original price of $1.99... but, I did not buy them as the designs were not my style...

I also found a few treasures that needed to come home with me...
I always look for unique glass items... This glass vase is a light yellow that fades into a light green base. Really pretty! It does need to be cleaned up a bit... but there aren't any chips or scratches in it. I thought the enamel container was nice... I'm used to seeing white with red or white with black... this one is cream with green...

And last is the glass bottle. I do collect glass bottles... but only very unique pieces. You can't see it too well in the picture, but just below the indent on the neck is a glass marble. This is a free moving marble that is actually part of the bottling process. The vendor explained to me that these bottles were filled upside down... and when the glass marble pressed against the rubber ring inside the neck, the bottle was sealed. To drink it's contents... you pushed the marble down and it would fall into a groove that is under the indent... which would allow the liquid to flow freely from the bottle. Difficult for me to describe without pointing at and moving the bottle... but, hopefully you get an idea of it's mechanics...

And lastly, is Bob's massive radio acquisition! lol! He had been looking for one of these for awhile and finally found one nice enough to part with the money for! It's a 1938 Zenith Shutter Dial Console Radio! Aint' it gorgeous?


The overall condition of the wood on this is about as perfect as a 70 plus year old radio can be... the dial is fabulous with no real flaws... see the green light? That's the tuning eye... the band on it narrows as the station tunes in clearly... the grill cloth is the original... and the chassis (where all the electronics and tubes are) is super clean. And yes, it does play! We've been listening to it most of the day today... I'm glad Bob bought it home... because I like it too! :-)

So, an A*W*E*S*O*M*E start to the Autumn season! And, to top it all off, a cool front came through our area late Thursday afternoon... so we have been having sunshine and mid to upper 60's during the day and down into the low 50's during the night.... ahhhhh... sweet perfection!

Cooler temps are making me want to bring out the wool and get hooking! As soon as I finish up this cross stitch I've been working on... I'm going to start a hooked rug! Probably some pumpkins... a gal can never have too many pumpkins!

Stay healthy and keep on smiling!


11 comments:

  1. wow, great goodies!! Looks like you might have picked up a piece of vaseline glass...that radio is priceless....!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that little pumpkin you picked up - the stem is too cute. BTW - I picked up a rug pattern printed on burlap for $1.25 34 x 36 and flipped it over and drew my own pattern on the back. I figured it was WAY cheaper than buying blank backing. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a fun place to go and great goodies, you both got some wonderful finds. I do like that white pumpkin. I haven't been to the home stores, but they usually carry those types. I have some new goodies coming my way next week from the pfaff giveaway, so excited to be able to have some halloween goodies, since I am too worn out to make any.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sounds like an awesome weekend! I'm glad you were able to get out & enjoy yourselves. Your new goodies are great & Bob's radio is wonderful. I'm glad the Jack didn't gobble you up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun. I love those types of Fall events. You found some great goodies and that radio was a wonderful find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhh, what fun! I love all your finds...and that radio is superb! Did I ever tell you that my ex's uncle used to restore old radios? Yeah.

    Ready for hooking, hey? Looking forward to everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. What an awsome bottle. I love it. Also the white pumpkin. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon ~
    What great finds. LOVE hubbies radio!!!
    Your bottle is also known as a Codd or pig bottle. If you turn the bottle on its side, it looks like a pig. Now I don't know if this is true, but it is also said that soda "pop" got its name from the bottle. After the carbonation caused the marble to rise and seal the bottle, when the marble was then pushed down to open it, it make a popping sound.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like an awesome weekend! And great finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Radio! I bet Bob is thrilled. Nice that you like it too :). Love your goodies you picked up. Sounded like a perfect day with perfect weather! Can't wait to see your pumpkins you hook up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is one spectacular radio. Loved all the goodies you found and boy is that one awesome entrance....Love that big ol' JOL.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...