~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Monday, February 21, 2011

Three Days Later...

It was a great weekend! I did manage to get quite a bit of creative projects accomplished and then some! You know... even with the bestest of plans... there is always something extra sneaking in here and there! :-)

Thank you to everyone that left some tips and encouragement on the first block hand appliqueing process!!! I did purchase a box of those tiny, tiny, applique pins. And, after tracing the pattern right side up on the freezer paper and the ironing it to the right side of the fabric... I then flipped the piece over (after cutting) and used the iron to get a good crease to keep the seam allowance tucked under a bit easier. I then positioned each piece onto the backing and proceeded to pin and pin and pin some more... this kept the seam allowance under control and held every piece in it's place so that the blind stitching went smoothly! :-)

With that said... Let's start with a Wisdom House BOM update... This shipment had a Block 2 and a Block 2A. Pictured here is Block 2A. Methinks a bit more practice with berries is needed. Had some difficulty keeping a nice roundness to it. I might just pull them out and stitch them when I find the secret to appliqueing nice round berries... anybody have any suggestions? The Block 2 of this shipment is still in progress... I should be finishing it up tonight...

The next project was actually a test run. I was doing my usual blog hop one morning and found someone that had crocheted a blanket using a stitch called the Basketweave. I wish I could remember who's blog I had seen this... she did a really nice blanket using this stitch, and I was inspired to try this stitch as not only did it look really kewl... but it was different from any other stitch that I have crocheted! So, I pulled out my testing yarn which is an acrylic Red Heart Super Saver... the whole skein was like 50 cents on sale?... and acrylic is easy to handle, so good for learning... Anyways, with the help of a video on YouTube... I was crocheting the Basketweave in no time! This pic is a close up... a little difficult to see the details, but see how it looks woven? So, with this successful test run... I will next be starting an afghan using some Payton's Wool blend I've had in totes in my closet for a couple or five years... lol!

And the super FUN news is another BOM project! If you follow Jacque's blog... you already know the details... You see... I had wanted to make a quilt this year, but was chicken to try a big quilt just from a pattern. So, I signed up for this Wisdom House BOM that I have been updating you with. Well, I had liked another BOM offered by the same quilt shop... so, I signed up for that one too. Then, I shared this info with Jacque as she has this passion for quilting that is very contagious! So, Jacque visits the quilt shop web page to see which one's I signed on for... but then notices another BOM called "Snow Days".

I said, "Yah... I like the colors in that one, but... I don't know about making churn dashes and geese and whatever other quilt shapes are on there" Jacque says "Did you notice all the embroidery in there?"

Ummmm... embroidery? So, I head back to the webpage and take a closer look... oooooh my....

So... a couple of days later I get an email from Jacque... she attaches a picture (close up) of the thread that is used in the embroidery... oooooh my...


Sometime later in the week... along comes another email... this email has an attachment of the patterns for the embroidery in this quilt.... ooooo my....

And so... I caved... I signed up for the BOM as I have very little experience with quilt patterns and figured the tips that come along with BOM's would help a great deal... and, since I was attracted to the original color plan... I would have the material all picked out for me already... all I need is the time now... :-)

So, as Jacque requested on her blog, wish us luck! So many embroidery details in this one!!! I was hoping to start it this weekend... but ran out of time... so, it's looking like next weekend for sure!

Here's a pic of the first shipment... so pretty!

I do have to mention something here... The BOM's I have signed on to are all offered through The Quilted Crow. The gals do such a wonderful job of fabric selection and preparation and the attention to detail with instructions are simply superb!

Here's a funny in the Manly Man Hobby Department... *snicker* Yep. You all know that my DH's hobby is restoring antique radios. You may also know that these radios are powered with the use of radio tubes. Well, about this time last year me and the DH went on a road trip to Upstate NY to buy a load of tubes. He enjoys the sorting, testing and labeling of the tubes... What I enjoy about these tubes is the vintage retro graphics that are on the tube boxes. You know... RCA, CBS, GE, Tung-Sol, Sylvania... you know... Manly Man Radio Tubes!!!! (insert Tim Allen grunts here)... So, imagine the surprise when he found a radio tube in THIS box...

Can you hear the Homer Simpson... "DOH"! :-)

Keep on smilin'!



9 comments:

  1. Sharon ~
    I like that basketweave stitch. Makes me want to pick up a crochet hook. I knew how to do the single crocket about a hundred years ago and have not done a thing since. Just what I don't need is another craft!
    Your quilts are going to be wonderful. Keep us posted.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. To get nice round berries, trace around a coin or whatever is the size you want for your berry on a piece of cardboard (cereal box will do). Cut it out and use it to trace around on the back of your fabric. Cut around your fabric circle leaving an approx. 1/4 seam allowance outside the circle you drew. Baste around the circle in the seam allowance. Place the little cardboard circle on the wrong side of the fabric and draw up the basting thread and tie the ends together. Press the fabric circle with the cardboard inside. Carefully snip the basting thread and slip out the little cardboard circle. You should have a perfectly round fabric berry.

    If you want to try this and need visual instruction, I can send pictures of the different steps.

    The basket looks great! You had a very productive weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness you have been BUSY! Loved the basketweave design! I like to crochet so may have to give that a try....it's something I can easily do while the hubby is driving!

    I think your applique looks super! The block of the month embroidery sounds fun. Glad you accomplished so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon...I love that basketweave stitch! As for round things, they're difficult to do no matter what you're doing. Do you keep your projects in separate containers while you're working on them? I love the colors of your Snow Days...and I think we'll have some great moments during our time with this quilt. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the update on the quilt blocks. All that fabric is so lovely. I used to try to quilt, but measuring wasn't my strongest suit. ;) The basketweave pattern is great. My Grammy tried to teach me to crochet many times. I miss seeing her pulling loops with her crochet hook and rocking away in the rocking chair!
    Keep us posted on your progress!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon....beautiful, beautiful applique! I love the color and the design...you are doing a wonderful job! I think I might have to look up that basket-weave stitch. I would like to make a baby blanket for one of my co-workers who is having a baby in April. Love your posts...such inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weaverpat has the way I was going to tell you about the berries. It is the way you make yo-yo's before they had the yoyo gadgets. The berries will turn out nice and round and you can do this with any size circle. You are doing nicely. I learned like you...making mistakes, but you learn that way...try things different ways until you find what works for you. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow Sharon! You are a busy girl with all your projects! Great tips on the berries. I can't wait to see the progress in motion on all of these blocks. So exciting! Keep on stitching and posting for us :).
    Got the biggest chuckle out of the tube too lol, lol.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure put your days off to good use Sharon...

    oh my that basketweave is so pretty...don't look Kelley...just don't look...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...