~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Final Chapter

Yes. I've been working on this rug for such a long time now... it almost feels like a very long (and wordy) novel! But, rest assured.... with the binding completed just last night, this post will hopefully answer all the questions that have been asked during the progress posts.

The rug was designed by:
Susan Feller
of Ruckman Mill Farm in West Virginia
Her inspiration was a
"Circa 1812 Bookplate"
The final size is 28" x 54"

I purchased this pattern (on linen) at the 2009 Brandywine hook-in. I did check Susan's website and can not find the pattern... but she may be able to draw one out for you if you give her a call.

I did have a couple of people ask how I went about my color planning on this rug... I can give you a "sort of explanation".... but I can't guarantee that it will make a whole lot of sense.

This pattern had never been hooked before, so I did not have any influence on what should be what color. In one way this was good... and in another way it was kind of frustrating (at times)... but overall... this rug was a lot of willy-nilly fun!

First was the leaves. Leaves grow in so many different colors and change throughout the year... therefore, my thought was that I had creative license to pick just about any color. And so, I did. Most of the colors are just soft primitives that blend in with the neutral decor of my home. Every once in awhile there is an "off-color" leaf.... but it simply is a leaf that was hooked with one of the background colors. Just to kind of bring things together... there really are many leaves in this rug. Which, is another reason why I did not choose to do all the leaves the same color. Monotony... blech! Do you see an occassional light blue leaf? Fun... something different... a whispered poison...

The flowers? Well... I rarely (if never) use pink in my rugs. So, I did. I picked a pink that was kind of muted. Actually, it's a Heaven's to Betsy wool. I had some in my stash, was gifted a few pieces more and thought this a great place to use some... the wool takes on a similar appearance to a paisley wool after it has been hooked. The orange flowers? Well... I just like muted and spiced oranges... it's different yet similar to the pink... Am I making any sense yet? LOL!

The background... well, let's see... I wanted a dark background as this rug is the first rug I've hooked that will actually be used on the floor. *grin* My next thought was that, this being an 1812 design... would certainly qualify as being a candidate for a "cost effective make do" appearance. So, I followed the theory that a well worn pair of wool pants might offer a few strips to fill a grey area... a tattered and torn wool skirt might offer a few strips of brown to fill in the next area... and, since I didn't know which color I would have available next.... I did it in patches. I've seen some antique rugs done this way and really liked the look of it. The blue that is popping in the background is actually more muted grey when viewed with the nekked eye...

Lastly... the binding technique I used is the ol' wool yarn whipped over cotton cording. I've heard it gives a good strong edge... and has been recommended as the binding of choice for rugs that will actually be walked on.

I've tried to get a picture of this rug on the floor of where it is going to rest....but, my camera will not allow it. It either shows too blurry, too yellow or too dang "anything but what it should be"... so, alas... my last and final pic of this rug is once again... on my back patio.

So, there you have it! Hopefully you have enjoyed reading about and seeing the progress of this rug... I know I had a fun time hooking it! And, it sure is sweet to admire it all finished (on the floor) as I sit in my squishy-cozy recliner! lol!

Have a blessed week! I'll be checking in again before Christmas Day!

12 comments:

  1. Well Sharon - I followed your thoughts (i think!) and I think what you did was perfect for this rug- and being one that actually saw it in person i can say it's even better in person! What a great feeling for you to have it done and you sit in that squishy chair and just keep patting yourself on the back for a job WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing. When you click on the photo to enlarge it you can really see the details. I love it.
    Merry Christmas!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, what a mighty fine looking rug you've hooked! I LOVE IT! And I loved your explanation on your color planning as well. It's perfect. Can't wait to see what you do next! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful. I love the color choices.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, I love the work, and have posted the image on my blog www.ArtWools.com under Fellow Blogger hooks rug and Ruckman Mill Farm More New Designs. Thank you for the story and first image of the pattern completed. Susan Feller designer

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did you say? LOL, just teasing! I followed you all right. Great job!! Thanks for sharing your thought process of it all. Enjoyed following you while you did this one :). How sweet it's done before Christmas. Time to sit and enjoy it. Curious though what your next project will be... Hooking, stiching, punching?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW...I didn't remember that the rug was so large! And, now it is done...woohoo! It is beautiful, Sharon and you should be very happy and proud. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Sharon and THANK YOU for visiting my blog - I hope to see you there now and again.

    I am a new member of the hookers! lol I just received a pattern and a friend sent me a beginners box of goodies so I'm raring to get started.

    Your rug is beautiful and I like that you chose to do it the way you wanted and not like 'all others' would look like. That's the beauty of these kinds of hand made items.
    Back in the day so to speak the woman used whatever fabric colors she had and made do with it...yours is gorgeous.

    MERRY CHRISTMAS

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon,
    What a mighty fine rug! Love your thought processes and followed your thinking perfectly. It's not easy to get that antique look in a rug but you have accomplished that and then some! The colors are wonderful and the pink wool is perfect! You should admire that rug as it is simply beautiful!
    Thank-you for letting us come along on the journey!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon ~
    Your rug is just drop dead wonderful and I had no idea it was so large.
    Thank you for sharing your color planning process.
    Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful rug it's simply amazing! Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...