~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Asheville Treasures

This past Saturday, Bob and I hopped in the car and headed south to Asheville, NC for a visit with his Mom... and to see if we could find some treasures! I did good!!! :-)

Funny thing is... all but the pink bottle was found at the first shop we stopped at! The basket in the background of this picture was labeled as a "Honeysuckle Basket"... I bought it because I liked the shape and it seemed pretty durable. The ball jars I picked up because I love glass, but only have a couple of jars with the zinc lids on them... these with the clamp and glass tops are new to me. That should be enough for my Ball jar collection.

These other two bottles (did I mention that I love glass? LOL!) caught my eye because they are different from anything I have seen before. The pink one is stamped made in Italy and is actually a wine bottle. The design that is pressed into the glass caught my eye as a something that could easily be adapted to a rug pattern to be hooked! Kind of has that primitive padula look about it... or (with the the right colors) might even be interpreted as a fraktur. The other bottle is a milk bottle and what I like about it is the picture of the man on a stool milking a cow that is pressed in the front! :-) It's fun stuff like this that I seem to be attracted to... and it's glass! LOL!

And lastly, is this crock! My heart skipped a beat when I spied this tucked away in a corner behind a bench... I have always, always, always wanted one of these crocks with the bee marking on it... but never wanted to pay the price they usually command... believe me when I say... I got a deal on this! It has a slight surface crack (probably only in the glaze)... and that's about it! I'm almost considering it my "trophy" for the whole trip! LOL! 

So, with sweaty palms and racing heart I ran these treasures up to the counter to wheel and deal... and after all the dust settled... Bob picked up the tab! Whoo-hoooo!!!! Was this an awesome trip, or what?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yah... I'm sky-high-in-the-clouds-ecstatic right now... and will be for a long time!!! :-)

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Sharon...you did really great! I especially like the crock, but I do like those glass bottles and the ball jars. Okay, I like it all! Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found some great items. I love that crock. And yeah for Bob - picking up the tab! He must be a good find too! lol
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice markings on your RW salt-glazed 2 gallon crock. I like the ones with the cobalt decoration too! Good eye!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  4. You done good Sharon! I especially love the crock. That's a keeper of a guy you have to pick up the tab too!
    We stayed in Asheville many years ago. It was a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon~ Your crock is sooo nice!! Love all your finds. Sounds like you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what great finds...my favorite has to be the milk bottle but then again that crock is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luvs that crock too! My sugar "bowl" is a ball jar with the glass lid! Wish I had known you didn't have any - picked up 10 small ones at a yard sale a few months ago for $0.25/each - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yea - Welcome Home! Missed ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a way to start your vacation... good for you.. love your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just had to comment on your finds, I love your jars and collect them too. The pink one is fantastic and love the crock.
    I love your blog and the first post I read was the one with the frosty pumpkins, I have laughed and laughed about it and on hot days I think of you and tell the weather I am done with it too. Great stuff! Thanks for your posts they make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your finds! That crock is lovely, and the basket is a very nice shape...
    You got a keeper there. Bob is a sweety for picking up the tab. Great trip!! Glad you made it there and back safely...

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOve the pink bottle and THAT CROCK..WOW..LOVE IT! You are one lucky lady to find all those great goodies!
    ~~Patti~~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...