~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Five Stressful and Scary Days

It all started last Wednesday, the 5th. "That Radio Guy" woke up with pain by his navel... slowly moving to the right... pain so bad he could not stand up straight...

9:30 in the morning we were at the docs... 12:30 we were in the ER... drinking contrast solution and getting a full gastric CT...

Appendicitis.

By 6:00 pm he was in the OR... and by 6:25 the surgeon was shaking my hand saying the appendix had been leaking for some time... but was removed laparascopically with no problems whatsoever!

Yay! I was doing the happy dance in the waiting room!

Then the anesthesiologist pulled me into "that room"...

When "that radio guy" was put under for the surgery, they inserted a breathing tube. When the surgery was over, and they went to take the tube out, my dh started having bronchospasms... so they left the tube in...

I'll save you the details... but my dh was sedated and on a respirator from 6:30 Wednesday night until 12:00 noon on Friday. Did you know that the world really can stand still? Very scary... to people in the medical field, this might be a normal every day occurrence, but to the wife of the person on the respirator... it's very traumatic.

The facts behind this instance is that my dh had bronchitis the day he needed surgery, so his lungs were a bit weak. They kept the tube in so that his lungs could heal while getting some "rest" and quite a few inhalation treatments to prevent the spasms. He has been home since Sunday... we have a huge cocktail of inhalers and pills for him to take while he heals his lungs and heals the incision from the appendectomy.

Whew! *smile*

Soooooo, because smoking does not help a person lungs much... and we were locked in a hospital for 5 days without being able to smoke... well... we are quitting!!!!! I purchased Nicorette gum, just for the big time nicotine cravings... but so far it has been better than I thought it would be. Not easy. Just better. Ice water and deep breaths help. And, changing up the routine to avoid the usual "triggers". "That Radio Guy" is doing well with it too... Prayers that we can keep this smoke free lifestyle going would be greatly appreciated! 

That's where I have been... today I have packages to take to the post office and some stitching to do. Other than that, I'll be staring at my husband... because he's home, breathing on his own, playing with radios and smiling!

Have a blessed day!


19 comments:

  1. I'm glad your hubby is on the healing road. How scary it must have been for you both. And THREE GREAT BIG CHEERS for being SMOKE-FREE! You go girl!!!! You CAN do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad everything went well and your husband will be back to his old self. I will be praying for you both and the strength to quilt smoking.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That definately sounds scary. There is nothing worse that sitting at the hospital with a loved one and feeling helpless. But luckily it has all ended well. Good luck with your "quitting". Its not easy.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sharon! That was indeed scary!!!! I can imagine how stressful it must have been.
    Thank goodness it all turned out well!
    Hope he is well on his way to recovery.

    Great that you are quitting smoking. I wish Zip had some motivation to quit. He won't even talk about the possibility.
    Sending prayers your way that you can stay away from the temptation! I'm not going to suggest eating as an alternative! That has it's own problems!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear happy endings.. hang in there with the quitting smoking. I quit 3 years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohmygosh, Sharon. Prayers are being sent up for you and 'that radio guy' for your health and emotional well-being while you traverse this rocky road. That sounds like a scarey experience...for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, how scary!! :( Praise God your hubby is on the road to recovery and doing good!! Will be lifting you both in prayer sweety!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sharon, that must have been such a scary time for you!! I'm so glad your hubby is home and healing. I will keep you both in my prayers and hope you can stick to your no smoking plan. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right..That is very scarey and gives you time to do all the thinking of "What If" Better when you can be home and keeping an eye on him..You are both in my prayers (smile)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. How SCARY Sharon!! Glad he's on the mend. I will keep in both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Sharon, you've been through quite a bit lately. So happy that your husband is home and feeling a bit better.
    Did not even know you smoked. Congrat's to both of you for deciding on the best thing you can do for yourselves. I know it's not easy. I was a smoker for 20 years. Going on 15 years now without a puff. You both can do it!!! With the support you have from each other, it will make all the difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon,
    I work in the medical field and it's always scary when they have to put someone on the respirator. So happy that everything turned out well and that you have both decided to stop smoking. I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharon ~ was wondering where you'd been...adding my prayers for you and the Radio Guy, giving up smoking will be one of the best things you'll ever do! and look at all the extra $ you'll have for treasures...

    it's always scary when someone stays intubated after surgery...always...big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meant to also tell you Sharon, that a nurse told me when I was quitting, to drink Orange juice. Forget why now lol, but it sure did help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharon ~
    So glad your hubby is on the mend. How very scary.
    Good luck with quitting smoking. It's hard. Been there, done that...twice. As Will Rogers said, "Quitting is easy. I've done it a hundred times" (or something like that). It's not easy, but so worth it ~ and think of all the cash the Radio Guy will have to buy more toys ;-)
    Hugs!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Sharon - I'm just reading this cause I can't sleep - been down and out with a bad cold - but nothing like you have been going thru - So happy Bob is okay! Give him big hugs! So glad he had you by his side! Don't forget to buy a bundle of lollipops to help quitting smoking - they really helped me when I quit - that in and out motion helps! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoping your hubby is well on the mend and the No Smoking is getting each day. So glad both of you gave it up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sharon,
    Just reading this and am sending prayers your way. I quit smoking after 25 plus years and have been free for almost 10. I do get the urge ever now and then but they upped the tax so high that cigarettes are more than $5 a pack now. Can't afford that. For me, the lozenges worked better as the gum pulled out my fillings. Now they even have the mini-ones available.

    Glad "radio guy" is home. I can understand how addicting his habit is having been married to one. At least he should understand about you and wool more than most as I remember I would not even go into the radio room. Take care and be strong. If you slip remember, to take another piece of gum. You are now a non-smoker.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Sharon...I am so glad that the worst is over..those seemingly "easy" surgeries are not often so easy. I am glad you are both quiting smoking. I gave it up over 15 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done! Best of luck..keeping you both in prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...