~ Rug Hooking ~ Penny Rugs ~ Cross Stitch ~ Punchneedle ~ Quilting ~ Crochet ~ Needlepoint ~ Vintage Good Life ~

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rag Quilt

Here's a few pics of my first rag quilt! *yay*

Outdoors on the patio...
A close up of the corners, binding and the matching back...

And a quick shot of the entire piece on the living room floor. I had to use a flash, so some of the colors look a little washed out...

I had purchased this as a kit from eBay. The kit consisted of all the homespun squares already cut and sandwiched with flannel! I am very new at quilting, and at the time I did not have my trusty rotary cutter and mat. So, this looked like a great opportunity to try a forgiving quilt style while getting reacquainted with my sewing machine... Another feature of this kit that I liked was that it included the strips and instructions for sewing binding around the edge of the quilt. Binding is not something generally customary for a rag quilt... but I really like the clean edge! Plus, being a newbie to the quilt world, this was a great opportunity to learn how to sew binding on a quilt. So, I quilted my X's on the squares, machine sewed all the squares together, machine stitched the binding on the edge, and then folded back the binding and hand stitched the blind stitching, then snipped, snipped and snipped some more *grin*... next was the washing in the washer and finalizing the whole fluff of it all in the dryer! The finished size is about 46" x 60". Just the right size for napping under on a cool autumn day!

4 comments:

  1. It turned out great and I really love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sharon, just Great!! Love the colors on it. Looks nice and cozy. I'm sure it will be used a lot this winter! I like the binding on it too. It does give it a clean edge. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It did turn out great! Is there nothing you can't do? :) Your works are always so delightful & finished with such great care!

    Smiles,

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rag quilt turned out wonderful Sharon! Bet it feels good to have it finished. Thanks for sharing.

    Lori R

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...